Drinks are quite limited in the AIP diet. This has been one of my challenges for the past couple of months, as I’ve been craving for a tasty drink that would be both a bit sweet and a bit healthy. More than that, besides being a healthy snack, the smoothie is also a very simple and fast AIP breakfast idea, so I might say it’s quite multi-functional 🙂
Compared to my other diet drink, which is the AIP coffee, the smoothie is quite easy and fast to make and it also includes only AIP-friendly and anti-inflammatory ingredients that contribute to healing autoimmunity.
So here’s one of my favorite smoothie recipes that includes greenies and some fruit.
Here's what I used for 1 serving:
- 1/2 cup coconut water (if you don’t have coconut water, filtered water will do)
- 1 celery stick
- 1 lettuce leaf
- 2 strawberries
- 3 grape beans
- 1/2 orange
Here's how I made it:
- I first added in the coconut water to a blender
- I cut the strawberry leaves, peeled and cut the orange in smaller pieces that the blender can handle, cut the celery and the lettuce into small pieces as well
- I then put all the veggies and fruit in the blender and started mixing everything in medium speed for 30 sec. After 30 sec I set the blender power to maximum speed and blended for another 30 sec
- I then poured the smoothie into a glass and served immediately (if you don’t drink it ASAP the antioxidants will lose properties and we wouldn’t want that)
- There I had it: my super healthy smoothie, full of vitamins and antioxidants!
It’s so easy, healthy and incredibly tasty!